In this example we consider a musical event, however, many of the same steps could apply to any type of event, be it a tour, training or sports event.
Imagine that number of musical bands decide to collectively put on a performance on Friday and Saturday nights during the months of July and August. The collective performance is the Event which is a something that they can advertise and market. They have a single Venue which they divide into two Zones: A near-stage zone with tables and comfortable chairs offering the best viewing and a zone further back from the stage consisting of benches. They will price the two zones differently. Furthermore, they want two Ticket-types: a full price and a concession price (for students, the retired and the unemployed). How would this be configured?
- First the event is created. This involves giving it a code, a name, a description and specifying various other details about it. An image for the event can also be uploaded.
- Next the venue for the event is specified (given a code, name (“Lloyds”) and an address).
- Two zones are created within the venue, one for the front of house, and the other for the back of house.
- A ticket-type group for the “front” zone is created, having two ticket-types, one for full price and the other for concessions.
- A ticket-type group for the “back” zone is created, also having two ticket-types.
- The first event occurrence is created, occurring on the evening of the first Friday in July and using the front of house zone and associated ticket-type group. The capacity is also specified.
- The previous step is repeated for the back of house zone.
- The two initial event occurrences are made recurring. This involves specifying when the recurrance period is to end and on which days of the week the event is to occur.
- A PayPal payment method is set up for accepting payments for the bookings.
- Finally, the event booking widget code is copied and pasted into a web page so that this page can show information about the event and display the booking form.
The following video shows the above steps carried out using the control panel.